Wednesday, June 17, 2009

broken noses from broken moses


FAKER - ADDICTED ROMANTIC

Addicted Romantic is certainly not my favourite album, not from my favourite genre, not with my favourite style. In fact, I can sort of pin down a popularistic by seeing this genre, post-punk or pop-punk or whatever you want to call it, frequenting their iPod. Infact bands like Fall Out Boy, Blink 182 and Panic! At The Disco give me the absolute shits. But I must give credit to Faker for bringing integritty to a genre which has basically been made to make money. Faker's lyrics are honest and intimate, poetic without being too soppy, and have genuine meaning rather than clichéd situations attatched for the teenage sympathy vote. The vocals are both rough and strangely exquisite, unlike many post-punk singers who all seem to follow the sounds of Green Day and other pop rock classics.

Apart from the relatively optimistic single Hurricane which I'm sure I had heard many times on the radio prior to hearing the complete album, other songs seem to hold a darker tone, both sarcastic and angsty. The laid-back party tale of Kids on Overload, with it's repetitive catchy rythm slowing down to the chorus and once again up to the high-point of the song, proves just how well Faker has achieved to interpret popular punk into an Arctic Monkeys feel bash-the-drums ballad. The wonderfully frank chorus of Fucking the Exhibits, it's urgent, rapid nature, and it's guitar strums deserves a mention.

The other thing about this album is it's great album art which really seems to suit. Faker have made their way into punk, kicked their arms around and left with a bloodied face. But they have certainly won the fight, creating an album which is both stylized and grungy at the same time.

Favourite Song: Teenage Werewolf

Favourite Line: "...and I'll be fucking the exhibits, because they're in front of me..."

No comments:

Post a Comment